Sunday, October 21, 2012

Carlyle

Happy Birthday Carlyle! Today my little man turns 3! It has been the most wonderful 3 years of my life! He is the funniest and sweetest kid I know and I could not even imagine my life with out his hugs and kisses everyday. I remember the day he came so clear and think it is wise to recall my thoughts before I do forget that most wonderful day!

I found out I was pregnant with Carlyle in March of 2009 and a few weeks later I could physically feel the effects this pregnancy had to offer and for about 7 months I was MISERABLE! I was so sick... and every morning I needed to plan for an extra 15 minutes to throw up before I left the house. I remember swelling up like a balloon fairly soon, but it became worse and worse as the due date became closer. My blood pressure was high throughout the pregnancy, but also toward the end became worrisome. I was in and out of labor and delivery and being monitored every week, until I was put on bed rest around the 17th of October. Keep in mind, my due date was November 16th. What the heck was I going to do for a month on bed rest? Yeah right. Not going to happen!- Now that I am a mother of 3 however, I would LOVE to be put on bed rest for a while- "sorry honey, doctor says  I have to stay in bed". :)

The 20th of October I was feeling especially sick. I could hardly move and was in the bathroom vomiting for quite some time. I cried to James, I was ready  to be done and this baby needed to come. I could feel it was time, but my doctor was really trying to keep in there as long as possible- for good reason- but mother intuition knew he was ready to come into the world! James was worried about me and called the hospital, they said I should come in because what I was experiencing wasn't normal. I went into Labor and Delivery and they monitored me and checked everything possible to see if I was okay to go home. Turns out I had preeclampsia and after 6 hours in the hospital, Dr. Horsley-who wasn't my current doctor- came into the room and told me he is going to induce me and take the baby tonight. My blood pressure was just to high to continue the pregnancy and he was confident this was the best decision for me and the baby.

I remember feeling scared and excited and relieved and worried about delivering a baby for the first time, all at the same time. About 10:00 pm he started the process and came back at 8:30am to start the pitocin. It was a long delivery and I had to be on Magnesium because of my blood pressure, and for those that don't know, Magnesium can make you very tired. From about 830-145 I progressed to a 4 and from 145-2 I was at a 10 and could feel the urge to push. I started pushing around 2:15 and he arrived at 2:30 pm, 7lbs 2oz and 19in long- huge for being 4 weeks early, thankfully!

It was love at first sight, I can still hear that first cry and they placed him in my arms. So... we took a few pictures and I was OUT! I could vaguely remember the nurses and James telling me they had to take Carlyle to the NICU because his lungs weren't in rhythmic breathing and they were needing to monitor him. I was asleep and could barely gain enough consciousness to be transported up to Recovery. I was asleep for the next 3 hours until they brought Carlyle back into my room as a healthy beautiful boy!  I fell back asleep during his first bath and could remember the nurse saying, "mommy will be going back to sleep for a bit" and I couldn't help myself in falling back asleep. It wasn't until later that night, when the magnesium wore off , when I could really admire him, I couldn't believe how beautiful he was and how much I could love someone. He was perfect! I to this day thank Heavenly Father for allowing me to be the mother of such a perfect soul. I learn so much from him and just love having him apart of our little family.

Carlyle is such a wonderful boy, he is sensitive and shy, but makes friends with peers and siblings easy because he is a leader. He is happy and loves to play and learn. His favorite animal right now is a Tiger and his favorite color is Blue. He could eat fruit snacks and mac and cheese at every meal and his #1 person is mommy, but his best friend is Lenore and Hudson is a close second! He loves sleeping in mommy's bed, watching movies, playing with any and all electronic devices, "shooting hoops", going to grandparents houses or having them come see us, riding in Grandpa Johnson's truck, playing with friends and cousins, reading books, playing with cars, playing outside, and of coarse his "B"- blanket- Pooh and Tiger.

He may look like the typical little 3 year old boy to everyone else, but he is far from typical to me and I am honored he is mine! I am so proud of him and look forward to the next 3 years I have before he starts school, and I assume they will go by just as fast as the first 3! I will write another post here this week about his party and hopefully I will learn how to post pictures!

Here are the Birthday pics!! Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment